Are you tired of feeling like you don’t know what to wear to college?
As a college guy, it can be tough to dress well on a regular basics
But fear not! With a few simple tips and tricks, you can elevate your style game and feel confident in what you’re wearing.
Let’s dive deep into how to dress well in college guys
Dress For Your Body Type
Determining your body type is the first step in dressing well. Here are a few ways to identify your body type:
- Take a look in the mirror: Stand in front of a full-length mirror and assess your body shape. Pay attention to the proportions of your shoulders, waist, and hips.
- Check your measurements: Use tape to measure your shoulders, waist, and hips. You can then use these measurements to determine your body shape.
- Use an online quiz: There are several online quizzes and tools that can help you determine your body type.
Once you find your body type, you can start to choose clothes that highlight your best features.
Best Clothes For Each Body Shape
Here are some tips on how to dress for each of the different body shapes for college guys:
- Choose clothes that create the illusion of a waistline, such as fitted shirts or jackets.
- Add layers to your outfit to create more shape and dimension.
- Avoid clothes that are too loose or baggy, as they can make you look boxy
- Keep the contrast between the top and bottom and avoid a monochromatic fit.
- Wear clothes that balance your proportions, such as dark-colored pants and brighter-colored tops.
- Avoid wearing clothes that draw attention to your hips or thighs, such as skinny jeans.
- Add layers to your upper body.
Inverted Triangle Shape:
- Choose clothes that create the illusion of a narrower upper body, such as V-neck shirts.
- Wear pants or jeans that are straight-legged or flared.
- Wear Boots
- Wear vertical stripes or dark-colored clothing
- Avoid clothes that are too tight or too loose, as they can make you look larger.
- Add layers to your outfit to create more shape and dimension.
- Avoid light-colored tops with dark colored bottom
- Choose clothes that highlight your athletic build, such as fit-shirts or tank tops.
- Wear pants or jeans that are straight-legged or tapered
- Add layers to your outfit to create more visual interest
Buy Quality Basics
Having a few key pieces in your wardrobe that can dress you up or down is a game-changer.
The goal here is to mix and match to create different outfits. Making it easy to look good without having to put in too much effort.
Some examples of versatile basics for college guys include:
- Polo shirts: I had a blue pair that I used to dress up with chinos and dress down with shorts. But there are many colors you can choose from
- Jeans: Opt for light blue and dark grey as this helped me to style many outfits in college
- Black trousers: Black trousers are a must-have for any college guy. I picked up this and it became my everyday wear. Go for quality pair.
- Sneakers: Pick a pair that you can match with any outfit. For me, it was converse chuck 70’s that helped me throughout my college days.
- Basic tees: Opt for neutral colors like black, white, or gray as this will help you to create many outfits.
- Jackets: A good jacket can take an outfit from basic to stylish in seconds. I had a denim jacket, a puffer jacket, and a hoodie. The varsity jacket is another popular one, that’s why I wrote an entire guide to styling varsity jacket
Mix and match them to create different outfits, and you’ll be well on your way to dressing well in college.
Shop at the right place
When it comes to shopping for clothes as a college guy, it’s important to find brands that are affordable. Here are a few top picks:
- Abercrombie and Fitch
Start by looking at the sales section, signup for discounts and offers. you can also filter out to find good pieces.
Dress For Occasion
Knowing how to dress for each occasion is important. Here are some tips on how to dress for different occasions as a college guy:
- Keep it casual with a clean t-shirt or button-down shirt jeans or chinos, and sneakers or loafers.
- Avoid wearing athletic wear or pajamas to class.
- Dress up a bit more with a collared shirt, dress pants or khakis, and dress shoes.
- Keep accessories to a least and make sure your clothes are clean and wrinkle-free.
- Go for a classic suit or blazer and dress pants combination.
- Opt for a neutral color like black or navy, and add a pop of color with a tie or pocket square.
- Make sure your clothes fit well to your body
I wrote an entire article on the complete guide to styling formal outfits for young guys you can find that here.
Casual hangout with friends:
- Keep it comfortable with a t-shirt or hoodie, jeans or shorts, and sneakers.
- Accessorize with a watch or bracelet to add some personality to your outfit.
I wrote an entire article on the best casual outfit ideas for college guys, find that here.
The key to dressing well is to always consider the dress code and put your best foot forward. With these tips in mind, you’ll be able to look and feel confident no matter the occasion.
Find Out Your Personal Style
Understanding your personal style is essential to dressing well and feeling confident.
Figuring out your personal style can seem daunting, but it doesn’t have to be.
- Start by taking inspiration from others. Look to fashion influencers on social media or browse online shops to see what catches your eye.
- Don’t be afraid to try new things and experiment with your style. It’s okay to step outside of your comfort zone and try something different.
Accessories can take an outfit from ordinary to extraordinary. Here are some accessories that can add a little something extra to your style as a college guy:
Don’t wear them all together, keep it simple.
Pick the right shoes
When it comes to shoes for college guys, there are a few key styles that every guy should have in their wardrobe.
You need a pair of
- Everyday wear
- Athletic Wear
- Dress Shoe
I wrote an entire article about the 15 best shoes for college guys, you can find that here
Confidence is key
Finally, be confident in yourself, in the way you dress and present yourself. I used to try out different styles in college and at first it was hard to do that, but by doing it more I become comfortable.
So don’t be afraid of yourself.
How Many Clothes Do You Need For College?
The answer depends on your personal preference and lifestyle. But, a good rule of thumb is to have enough clothes to last you for about a week before doing laundry.
For me, I had 6 Basics T-shirts, 1 pair of black trousers, 2 pairs of jeans in a light wash and dark denim, 3 Flannels, and 1 Dress Shirt. This helped me to mix and match everything together.
What do college guys wear
This depends on personal style and fashion sense for everyone. But from my experience in college, there are a few items I see guys wearing often that also helped me dress well in college. You can find the article I wrote about that.
Before You Leave
Here are some articles that help you to look good in college